The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is located 900 Washington Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11225 | 718-623-7200.
The Botanic Garden was established in 1910 as a Department of the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences. Its object is the advancement and diffusion of a knowledge and love of plants.
Brooklyn Botanic Garden is located just east of Prospect Park, south of Eastern Parkway, and comprises approximately forty-eight acres, situated in the very heart of the Borough of Brooklyn.
The entrances are on Flatbush Avenue, near Malbone Street and near Mt. Prospect Reservoir; on Washington Avenue, south of Eastern Parkway and near Malbone Street; on Eastern Parkway, west of the Brooklyn Museum. The Laboratory and Administration Building is on Washington Avenue, with entrances opposite Crown Street, as well as from the Garden, and may be reached by Flatbush Avenue surface cars to Malbone Street; Franklin Avenue and Lorimer Street surface cars to Washington Avenue; St. John's Place surface cars to Sterling Place; Ninth Avenue, Sixteenth Avenue, Union Street, Greenpoint, and Smith Street surface cars to Prospect Park Plaza and Union Street; and Brighton Beach elevated to Consumers' Park station. (The elevated train stops only when the conductor is notified in advance.) The new subway lines will have stations at the Eastern Parkway entrance and at Malbone Street.
A docent will meet parties by appointment and conduct them through the Garden. This service is free to members of the Brooklyn Botanic Garden and to teachers with classes; to others a nominal charge of twenty-five cents an hour for parties of fewer than three, and ten cents a person an hour for parties of three or more.
The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is supported in part by municipal appropriations and in part by private funds, including income from endowment, membership dues and special contributions. Its articulation with the City is through the Department of Parks. The City owns the land devoted to Garden purposes, builds, lights and heats the buildings and keeps them in repair and includes in its annual tax budget an appropriation for maintenance. A portion of the cost of the present buildings was met from private funds.
By the terms of a written agreement, dated August 17, 1914, between the City of New York and the Brooklyn Institute, touching the Botanic Garden, all plants must be purchased by private funds. In addition to this, it is the practice of the Garden to purchase all books for the Library, all specimens for the Herbarium, all lantern slides, and other necessities, and to pay certain salaries, with private funds.
Special privileges are granted to teachers and classes from local schools; and members of the Garden, in consideration of their payment of dues, enjoy certain advantages not extended to others.
The Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences is organized in three main departments: 1. The Department of Education; 2. The Museums; 3. The Botanic Garden.
The Garden is organized in eight departments: Administration, Graduate Study and Research, Public Instruction, Plantations and Conservatories, Laboratories, Library, Herbarium and Publications.
... continue to next page ...
Back To Previous Page